Adventures in Africa

***THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS***

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Training

The first site visit was awesome! We got to eat our first nshima and a tutorial in the pit latrines. All very important things. The volunteer we visited was awesome, but it was too bad that we didn't get to see any of the waterfalls in Luapula. We did get to meet a lot of the people in the village, especially the children, for whom I became their Barbie doll as they braided my hair multiple times. We also had bonfires a couple of nights, and the kids drummed and sang and danced for us. It was very surreal but very fun. And I am not even going to attempt to describe the night skies here. Just amazing, very amazing. I am very glad I brought a headlamp though; certainly my best investment thus far.

So now I have started my homestay for my "real" training. My family is very nice, and their extended family is hosting two other trainees, but they don't want me speaking English at all. I am sure I will be very happy at the end of the two months here, but right now it is a bit difficult when I only know "Hello. My name is Beth." in Kikaonde. Oh well, it is amazing how much we learn everyday. We also used our bikes for the first time yesterday--what an experience. Sand is definitely not the proper medium for bike tires, but at least no major injuries yet!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Beth,

Here are some PC / Zambia blogs that I have found. If you know of any others that I have missed please let me know. Thanks!


-Mike Sheppard
RPCV / The Gambia
www.journeyacrossafrica.blogspot.com


==
http://360degreesofsky.blogspot.com/
http://ajkuklok.blogspot.com/
http://brettinzambia.blogspot.com/
http://bruce.butts.mystarband.net/peacecorps/pc.htm
http://daneenleidig.blogspot.com/
http://devinsmyth.blogspot.com/
http://erinwolf.bravehost.com/
http://heatherbarron.bravehost.com/
http://janeofthejungle.blogspot.com/
http://janeygyrl.blogspot.com/
http://kateyinzambia.blogspot.com/
http://khfischer.blogspot.com/
http://lara.webhop.net/
http://laurainzed.blogspot.com/
http://leainzambia.blogspot.com/
http://minenasjourney.blogspot.com/
http://nnsinafrica.blogspot.com/
http://pckristin.livejournal.com/
http://peacecorpskatie.livejournal.com/
http://pynetree.blogspot.com/
http://raypalko.blogspot.com/
http://rozbitsky.blogspot.com/
http://runawaychronicles.blogspot.com/
http://scribblingsfromzambia.blogspot.com/
http://topherchavis.blogspot.com/
http://travel-diaries.com/profiles/ratty_n_jp/two_years_in_zambia/
http://visadiscover.blogspot.com/
http://walklikeazambian.blogspot.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/19991010003245/members.aol.com/wmoore8726/index.html
http://www.brette-zambia.blogspot.com/
http://www.eliseinzambia.blogspot.com/
http://www.geocities.com/daneen526/PeaceCorps
http://www.manited.net/sara.html
http://www.tamaniproject.com/joomla/
http://www.victoriaseyes.blogspot.com/
http://www.wenninja.blogspot.com/
http://www.zambia-boy.com/pages/1/index.htm
http://www.zambiafish.blogspot.com/
http://www.zambiagottkatie.blogspot.com/
http://yewo.blogspot.com/
http://zambianfish.blogspot.com/
http://zambum.blogspot.com/
==

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home