Adventures in Africa

***THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS***

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Five months down...

I cannot even believe it. I have not left my site for two months. It is really nice being in a city. It will still be strange going back to American electricity--there is a difference, believe me. We tried to watch a movie last night and in the course of a half hour the electricity went off and then came back on literally five times. But I am not complaining! I even had ice cream today (not real ice cream, but good enough)! My site is really nice though. Natural ups and downs as I face the Zambian concept of time, which basically is that everyone is on their own schedule. Half of my meetings get postponed, and only half of the people show up when they do get held, and they always start at least an hour late. But the people are really nice and friendly. They feed me a lot. Mushrooms are very abundant here right now, so I am very happy. And the fruit will finally be ripe soon. I also had this Ghanian feast for Halloween--three course meal, the best being banana fritters and beans...yum! I also made a mock Jack-o-Lantern and a witch's hat for Halloween, which was a funny concept for the kids here. I am trying to upload my pictures right now, but it is VERY slow! So sorry if it doesn't work. Rainy season is just about here...it has rained the last three or four nights, but not really during the day. The snakes are out though--super fun. Mom, don't read this: 3 were in my yard over about a five day period, and another one encountered on a run. But it should be okay... Things are starting to feel pretty normal here now, so it is getting harder and harder to write about life here. There are still some things that I know would never happen in the US, so they seem pretty funny. Such as, on Monday when I went to the post office, the mail hadn't been sorted, so I offered to do it...and they let me. It was fun; I think I might change career paths. I was a little jealous because the local missionaries at the hospital got collectively more mail than PC. But I have LOVED the letters and packages I have gotten so far--they really make my week!! Thank you so much!! Other than that, not anything too exciting. I did get a parcel with chocolate and wine sent to a local restaurant for me by someone I had never met. That was a little strange, and a lot funnier right now. It is strange because here being white is very exotic and people are very intrigued by anyone from America. I still am not completely used to it, but am trying to take it in stride. There are advantages and disadvantages to it. Anyway, I am going to get going...I am giving up on the pictures for this moment; but I promise by the end of next week there I will be something up!! (I hope)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home