Adventures in Africa

***THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS***

Friday, August 31, 2007

One year and counting...

I am taking advantage of free internet at my local mission hospital (a new installment, and don't know how often I can use it...probably not too much...). But I have officially less than one year left! It just blows my mind sometimes. It has been a little slow in the village lately, but about two weeks ago I helped out with the project of another volunteer: Camp GLOW (girls leading our world), which was amazing. It was mostly 12th grade girls who couldn't make it home from their boarding school over the August break, but they were so intelligent and motivated, which was really encouraging to see. The week definitely required a bit more pep and energy than I thought I had in me, but somehow mustered up enough to last a week. The sessions we had were on confidence, motivation, career choices, women's health, sexual assault...a lot of topics that aren't really discussed much in general here, so I think it was definitely very beneficial for the girls, although a bit weighty at times and very disheartening to hear stories of situations girls have already been in. So a bit intense, but overall the week was so much fun. I hope to help out with another one before I leave here. Oh, and another sign of how motivated they were: study groups were formed in their spare time--on their holiday! I was recruited to help with biology, so hopefully I didn't lead them astray. In November, the grade 12s take huge exmas though, which sort of determine their future, so studying is very important for these girls. Anyway, now I am back. Have had a few meetings...with myself. But school starts next week, so I will be at three different schools during the week, which will certainly keep me busy. Can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home