Adventures in Africa

***THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS***

Monday, September 24, 2007

It's confirmed...


....I'm healthy. I am in Lusaka (the land of plenty) for mid-term medical exams. I just was at the doctor and dentist today, and apart from a chipped filling (apparently rice dissolves fillings, or maybe they were just saying that to make me feel better), I am pretty healthy...except for a mysterious rash...Then to celebrate a healthy mouth, I went and ate some ice cream--so delicious. Things have been going pretty well at site though. I am working again with the schools, which always is a source of entertainment, but I think I have officially run out of songs and dances to teach them, despite the repertoire I acquired in the child care field. So now we have moved on to staring contests and various forms of "American" greetings (ie 'sup) because I feel it is important to introduce different dialects, if you will, in case any of them ever make it to the US. I also I am slightly embarassed, as I don't remember many of their names still. Partly because there are about five Lovenesses, Innocents and Gifts each. Plus their pronunciation of their names is much different from mine (me: Mirriam, them: Melyami) that I usually avoid trying to say names, as they don't know who I am talking to anyway. I actually surprisingly remember the kids who have Zambian names: Chibolya, Kamwana, etc. And Friday is a little hard to forget too. I was going through the roster last week though, and out of 100 kids, only 11 have last names that start with a letter besides K, M, or L. And you wonder why it is a problem to keep words and names straight. My bike also went through quite the rough patch this past month. One day a tube just burst, which was bad enough, but then when I went to pump it back up, the valve just broke off as well. I seriously think God was playing a joke on me, but I sure wasn't laughing. Luckily some other volunteers had a spare, so then I was good for about another week. Then the tire started to just fray. Completely ridiculous. I seriously had to duct tape it for a week before I could get a spare part. Just take it from me, a duct taped tire just doesn't cut it. Somehow it managed though, except now the gears sound terrible. But I am sure this is very uninteresting to read, plus it is slightly stressing me out again, and I am going to a MOVIE in about ten minutes, so I'll stop there. But I want to take this time to just make a little analogy of me to my bike: we are both like the little engine who could, just keep trucking along and enjoying the scenery as we slowly go by... Ok, not the best analogy, better one next time. Love you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home